2021 MPEA Plant Propagation Project | Middle Patuxent Environmental Area | Ongoing Opportunity, Sept. 8 - Dec. 15, 2021 | Ages 18+
MPEA habitat restoration efforts often include removing non-native invasive plants and replanting areas with native plants, and a significant quantity of native plant material is needed for these efforts. Many species can be propagated from plants on site, providing local ecotypes as well as species not readily available for purchase. The MPEA is seeking independent volunteers for the project, who will:
- plant starter plants from seed into flats, quarts, or gallons
- water established plants and repot as needed
- under staff direction, transplant or collect seeds of designated plant species within the MPEA
- assist with planting grown plants in designated habitat restoration areas
- review written and online literature to assist with the creation of a propagation notebook for a habitat restoration species list
Flexible hours. Gardening experience preferred. A phone interview and onsite training will be required for any prospective volunteers.
Minimum age: 18
Dates: 09/08/2021 - 12/15/2021
4 Positions available!
5795 Trotter Road
Clarksville MD, 21029
Trotter Parking Area
5795 Trotter Road, Clarksville, MD 21029
From Route 29 at Route 32: Take 32 west to the Great Star Drive exit. Turn right onto Great Star Drive. Then make a right onto Summer Sunrise. Continue to Trotter Road and make a left. Proceed about 1 mile to the parking area on the right just beyond the small traffic circle.
From Route 29 at Route 108: Take Route 108 west and continue past Centennial Lane. Proceed past Harpers Farm Road to Trotter Road and make a left. Continue to the parking area on the left. If you reach the small traffic circle, you've gone too far.