2021 MPEA CSP: Autumn Olive Removal I | Trotter Parking Area | Tuesday, 10/26, 9-11:30am | Ages 13+
Autumn Olive shrubs are an unwelcome but plentiful remnant of the game farm that once existed in this area, and are relentless invaders requiring the implementation of a variety of control methods over several years. We have made great headway on a several-acre area that we will expand upon this morning. Volunteers will cut down these shrubs to provide room for park staff to return and perform subsequent herbicide treatments. Any Japanese barberry shrubs found will also be dug-up and left to dry out.
- Cut back Autumn Olive shrubs using hand saws, loppers, or pruners;
- Dig or hand-pull invasive Japanese Barberry.
- Training, plant removal tools, and supplies (except work gloves) will be provided;
- Precautions for the ticks, poison ivy, & stinging insects that may be encountered should also be taken;
- This event may be cancelled in the case of adverse weather conditions (such as moderate to heavy precipitation, high winds, or lightning).
- A face-covering mask;
- Drinking water;
- Snacks, if desired;
- Work gloves;
- Long pants;
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes;
- Eye protection (recommended);
- Appropriate clothing for the weather, including sun protection.
Minimum age: 13
15 Positions available!
5795 Trotter Road
Clarksville MD, 21029
Trotter Parking Area
5795 Trotter Road, Clarksville, MD 21029
From Route 29 at Route 32: Take 32 west to the Great Star Drive exit. Turn right onto Great Star Drive. Then make a right onto Summer Sunrise. Continue to Trotter Road and make a left. Proceed about 1 mile to the parking area on the right just beyond the small traffic circle.
From Route 29 at Route 108: Take Route 108 west and continue past Centennial Lane. Proceed past Harpers Farm Road to Trotter Road and make a left. Continue to the parking area on the left. If you reach the small traffic circle, you''ve gone too far.