2021 MPEA CSP: Autumn Olive Removal II | South Wind Circle Trailhead | Tuesday, 11/23, 9-11:30am | Ages 13+
Autumn Olive shrubs are an unwelcome but plentiful remnant of the game farm that once existed in this area, and are relentless invaders requiring the implementation of a variety of control methods over several years. We have made great headway on a several-acre area that we will expand upon this morning. Volunteers will cut down these shrubs to provide room for park staff to return and perform subsequent herbicide treatments. Any Japanese barberry shrubs found will also be dug-up and left to dry out.
- Cut back Autumn Olive shrubs using hand saws, loppers, or pruners;
- Dig or hand-pull invasive Japanese Barberry.
- Training, plant removal tools, and supplies (except work gloves) will be provided;
- Precautions for the ticks, poison ivy, & stinging insects that may be encountered should also be taken;
- This event may be cancelled in the case of adverse weather conditions (such as moderate to heavy precipitation, high winds, or lightning).
- A face-covering mask;
- Drinking water;
- Snacks, if desired;
- Work gloves;
- Long pants;
- Sturdy, closed-toe shoes;
- Eye protection (recommended);
- Appropriate clothing for the weather, including sun protection.
Minimum age: 13
18 Positions available!
6495 South Wind Circle
Columbia MD, 21044
South Wind Circle Trailhead to MPEA:
6495 South Wind Circle, Columbia, MD 21044
Route 29 to Route 108 west towards Clarksville or Route 32 to Route 108 east. Turn onto Trotter Road to South Wind Circle (about 1 mile). Enter the circle and proceed to trailhead on left (opposite Misty Top Pass).